Many have pondered, protested, and embraced DePaul’s Blue Demon name, yet where did it come from? The history of our athletic title and mascot has been a frequently asked question throughout the life of the University and the answer lives in Special Collections and Archives on the third floor of the John T. Richardson Library.
Here is the story:
In 1907 when St. Vincent’s College became DePaul University, the sports teams wore red uniforms with large Ds on the front. During a game, in the early 1900s, an announcer referred to the players as the D-men. This name stuck with the team and evolved into the Demon we have today. The blue component is thought to have developed from the attempt to distinguish the players from DePaul University from those of the DePaul Academy (a high school a part of the University at the time). It was for this reason that the Academy took to wearing blue uniforms with red Ds and the University adopted red uniforms with blue Ds; thus solidifying their title as the Blue D-men or what we know them as today: The DePaul Blue Demons!
So next time you are out cheering for the red and the blue remember to cheer for our Demon too!
Bygone DePaul is a series highlighting DePaul’s campus and how it has changed through the years.