Bygone DePaul is a series highlighting DePaul’s campus and how it has changed through the years.
Every student who goes to DePaul has probably grumbled about the CTA’s current Brown Line Expansion Project, but what they might not know is that the project actually started five years ago. In 2003, the Hayes-Healy Athletic Center, which was located at 940 W. Belden, was razed to make room for the expanded Fullerton station that is now in its final phase.
Hayes-Healy was originally built by the McCormick Theological Seminary in 1929. Under McCormick, it was known was Waterman Gymnasium and it was used for basketball and handball, as well as office space. When DePaul purchased the Seminary’s buildings in 1976, the Gymnasium was re-named for two benefactors of DePaul, John and Ramona (nee Hayes) Healy. It was built in the collegiate gothic style which was most popular in the 1920s. Hayes-Healy was used for many different purposes by DePaul, though mainly for athletic offices and storage; when Hayes-Healy was purchased, DePaul already played sports matches in The Barn and Alumni Hall.
Contact DePaul’s University Archives for more information.