DePaul University began as St. Vincent’s College in 1898, and Mark Sheridan was one of only two students in the first graduating class in 1899. (The other student, the Most Reverend William D. O’Brien, D.D., would later be ordained as a priest and serve as Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago.) Sheridan maintained close ties with the college/university, returning to DePaul’s Silver Jubilee (25th anniversary) in 1923, and serving as president of the Alumni Association when DePaul celebrated its 50th anniversary in the 1948/49 academic year.
When it opened its doors in 1898, St. Vincent’s College consisted of a single building that was originally built as the parish church and repurposed as the College Hall after the existing St. Vincent’s Church was built in 1897. Sheridan and O’Brien are reported to have only “carried” two academic subjects on account of their status as seniors, and would have paid around $40 for a ten-month session at St. Vincent’s.
You can also visit the DePaul Heritage Collections online to see more vintage DePaul photos like the one featured on the back cover of the DePaul Magazine edition mentioned above, and on its back covers throughout 2014.