Although the school year is winding down and the summer holiday approaching, librarians behind the Research Help desk have been busy answering all your reference needs. From how to reserve a study room to questions on the future of human-computer interactions, the online library chat is a fast and efficient way to get your research needs met. Feel free to also stop by the Research Help desk for in-person help as well!
Not sure what to ask us? Here are some recent questions we have received:
- Can I check out materials as a DePaul alum?
- Where can I find peer reviewed essay about teens and their access to birth control with parental consent?
- Do we have online access to the Sun-Times?
- Hi, I’m writing a paper on genetic engineering for my health ethics class and I need to find some peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Hello, I’m trying to find an academic journal about the relation between temperance and religion. Ideally it would also primarily concern women. Any tips for finding a source like this?
- What are the library hours?
- Hi! I’m looking for a reliable source that can tell me the Palestinian population in France and Germany.
Here is an example chat:
DePaul Librarian: Hi there! How can I help you?
Student: I am looking for scholarly articles on classroom management.
DePaul Librarian: Sure, I’m happy to help! Are you familiar with our online research guides?
Student: a little
DePaul Librarian: The guides are organized by subject – I would suggest looking at the Education Research Guide for your topic.
Student: Thank you!
DePaul Librarian: You’re welcome! Once you have opened the guide, click on the ‘Articles’ tab on the left hand side of the page, and you will see a list of subject specific databases relating to Education.
Student: Ok, thank you!
DePaul Librarian: What grades are you focusing on for classroom management? I can do an example search and send you the results.
Student: mostly focusing on the intermediate grades, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.
DePaul Librarian: Ok! I’ll do a quick search and see what sort of results come up. Back in a moment!
Student: ok, thank you!
DePaul Librarian: Ok, here is the search that I plugged into the search box: Classroom management AND (intermediate grade* OR grade 3 OR grade 4 OR grade 5) AND study. You can click on the results here.
Student: Thank you! I will look through these results.
DePaul Librarian: Great! Feel free to chat us again if you need any more help. We are online until 10pm most evenings.