Happy New Year Students, Faculty and Staff

Robert D. Karpinski, Associate Vice-President, Academic AffairsHappy New Year to our students, faculty and staff. On behalf of my colleagues in the University Library, I wish you health, happiness and peace as we begin 2022.

As the person responsible for oversight of University Library operations, I welcome you to the winter quarter. Even though we are beginning this quarter remotely after the holiday season, I want you to know that our Library staff are committed to providing support to our students, faculty and staff. We consider the University Library to be the ‘hub’ for teaching and learning at DePaul University. Therefore, since March, 2020 when the pandemic caused the University to go fully online, the University Library staff has provided a wide array of services to the University community. The full list of services provided from January 3 – January 15, 2022 are found by clicking on the link below:

https://news.library.depaul.press/full-text/2021/12/08/library-services-january-3-15/

I also take this opportunity to say that throughout the pandemic, even when many of our DePaul colleagues were able to work remotely, we had staff in the John T. Richardson and Loop Library working to maintain our services in support of the teaching and research of our students, faculty and staff. Our Access Services Department remained onsite to ensure contactless pick-up service was available and to provide support for course reserves and interlibrary loan. Our librarians in the Research, Instruction and Academic Engagement Department provided research assistance through our “Ask a Librarian” service as well as instruction in person and online. Our Technical Services Department made sure resources were available and discoverable and the Digital Services Department worked to make sure our online services were running seamlessly. Our Special Collections and Archives continued to support teaching and research even though physical materials were not available. Special Collections and Archives worked onsite to digitize materials for researchers and students before in-person research visits resumed in the summer of 2021. The work continued – we supported teaching and learning.

Why am I sharing this summary with you? At DePaul University, we often hear the question asked, “what must be done?'” I would like for you to do a couple things when you come to visit us this winter, whether in the John T. Richardson Library or our Loop Library.

First, wear your mask. Wearing your mask keeps us all safe and in compliance with the city and University. Our staff wear a mask all day so knowing our patrons do as well keeps us all safe.

Second, take the time to say thank you to any staff person you encounter in the Library. The words “thank you” will acknowledge the work that has been done as well as the work being done. I guarantee you that by showing appreciation you will brighten the day of the person you share kindness with by saying those two simple words – ‘thank you.”

Third, spread the word to your colleagues and friends that the University Library is a place of support for everyone. We are here to provide a service to the University community. It is our mission.

One Reply to “Happy New Year Students, Faculty and Staff”

1. Thank you so very much for all you do to encourage the Library staff in every way. Highlighting the work of each department is crucial to the role of the Library in the success of DePaul. You are clearly the leader the Library has long needed. I know full well how much the staff and DePaul have benefited from your presence.